Hi everyone!
Feeling a bit crappy today - I'm coming down with a cold. Sylvia's at home sick today and I'm loading up on the vitamin C to see if it'll help.
It was a long day yesterday. After work, I had to go up to Signal Hill to pick up the Sears Wishbook (on cd). I dozed on the train and the bus. I was able to pick up the cd and still use my transfer to get back. I let Gilbert and Whiskers play together in the bathroom. It's the only area small enough that I can keep track of where they are and there's no electrical cords to chew on! During this time, I did a load of laundry. I don't know what's going on with the dryer because this was the second time this week I did a load and the clothes were still damp (and cold!) when I took them out! They weren't sopping wet so I hung them in the bathroom and turned on my space heater. Either there's something wrong with the dryer or my load was too large. I did find it odd that my few hiking clothes (they dry really fast) were dry but were cold. In the past, even if my jeans weren't totally dry, my clothes at least felt warm. I have another load or two for tonight (yes, I let my laundry get out of control) so hopefully I can solve the mystery.Anyways, napped on the floor with my buddies until laundry was done then headed for choir practice.
I was still a bit tired and probably should have skipped practice, as I'm not going to be there on Sunday. Our choir director can be very frustrating. We needed to learn the descant of a hymn. (That's the part usually sung by the sopranos that's above the tune and is often sung on the last verse) It was very difficult and none of us knew what it sounded like. Several of us asked to hear how it went but all he said was, "Sing what you see." This, unfortunately, is a skill I don't have. I can look at the notes, I could play them on the piano, I can tell you how many semi-tones between the notes and what the interval is. I can't look at the note and sing it accurately. I have to hear the melody first and then my brain is able to tell where I should pitch the note. When it comes to a new song, I take the music home and play it on the piano until I basically have the song memorized. Generally, with unfamiliar hymns, there are several patterns that make it easier to sing. With descants, harmonies etc. that pattern is often missing and it can be extremely difficult. I almost walked out of practice because I was so frustrated. At least I'm not the only person having problems - several other choir members have mentioned to me as well.
Went home didn't do the cleaning I was suppose to get done. Watched the news about the problems in Paris (rioting, anti-Semitism) and was very upset how ignorant people can be about each other. Ended up cuddling with Mike and going to be early.Woke up to a warm and playful Mike so although I was rushed, it's nice to get greetings from my furry friends.
Friday, November 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment