Monday, April 13, 2009

School thoughts

Hello Everyone,

...so, after I finish my final payroll course (hopefully June 10 to Sept 9), I might continue with courses.

I took a look at the next certification and realized most of the courses can be taken through Athabasca University. While on their website, I discovered if I took an additional 6 courses, I would receive a University Certificate in Administration. It doesn't give me letters behind my name (like a BA but I get them for my payroll certification) but it is something else to add to my resume. And some of the courses sound interesting. A lot more interesting than the regular payroll ones. And since they're more interesting, I won't be as stressed since I'll be interested in the material and will want to learn.

Timeline: 4 months per course (AU gives 6 months but that's if you're not motivated and in all honesty, it's too long - gives you too much time to procrastinate). So 3 years to complete the certification and aditional 6 months on top of that for the 2nd payroll accreditation. And, since it's through Athabasca, if I'm not still with Akita (they currently pay for any schooling I do), I can continue it either on my own or through the next company. All part-time study.

I know I was going to take some time off after my next course but this sounds like a great opportunity. All by correspondence so I'm looking at 1-2 week nights a week (max) workload. And the reading I can do while fishing or at Jerry's place. Since I don't think I will end up staying in payroll, I wanted to keep my options open and this certificate offers introductions to several administrative fields (finance, law, marketing, hr).

Just what I'm thinking at the moment. Don't need to make any major decisions for a few months yet.

Do you have any thoughts or ideas?

2 comments:

Anne said...

Have you thought about long term.... what do you want to be doing in 5 years? Where is that? Will that be there? Any education is good... but if you are paying for it what are you going to get out of it. Is the money for the courses comparible to how your salery will increase??
And most importantly... Do you love it? If you didn't get paid for your job would you still do?

Karen said...

This is the problem I'm having - I have no idea what I want to be doing in 5 years. Payroll is ok but it's not something I get excited about. It pays the bills and my co-workers are nice.

Any education I currently do (as long as it's work-applicable) is currently paid for by the company so at least it's not coming out of pocket. And there's no salary increase related to more education.

I'm looking for a way to branch out and see if there's something else I may enjoy better.

In a perfect world, I'd have a hobby farm with a huge garden, bees with wild flowers, a couple cows, some sheep and other animals. It'd be an off-the grid, self-sustaining farm where we'd have visitors come to stay to help take care of things. And maybe have some classes like baking, livestock care, gardening etc.