Thursday, April 23, 2009

Back to winter

Hello Everyone,

This is how stupid Calgary weather is. Tuesday afternoon it was 20C. Wednesday afternoon was snow. It's now -7, crappy and the roads are covered in bumpy ice. It was a nasty ride in since I hadn't realized the roads were going to be like that and I had my regular tires on. Took the back way to work to avoid traffic.

It's been busy. On Friday, Jerry & I passed our belay climbing test. So we also climbed on Monday night. He really enjoys it and it's growing on me. Feels unnatural to be able to go sideways and stretch out when climbing. I'm not roped in the outdoors so my options are very limited. At the gym, I'm harnessed in a controlled environment. Makes for some interesting challenges.

On the weekend, I rebuilt Charlotte. We went to Bow Cycle and picked up mustache handlebars and a huge wire basket. It's large enough to fit 2 full bags of groceries and my purse. And the equivalence of my weight. There's extra supports that go down to the wheel. She looks very old school and I rather like her. A lot more practical. I also brought Calli in to work as a co-worker was interested in her. Things went well so she'll go to a new home next month. The $ will cover Charlotte's upgrades. Should have pictures on the weekend. I'll eventually get a basket liner for her and make it girly.

I have ranger (Calgary pathway patrol) school (learn about by-laws and pathways) on Saturday and a ranger patrol on Sunday. Jerry will likely be snowboarding since there's powder and not a lot of weekends left.

He got doored again yesterday but seems ok. Wheel was damaged but he was able to fix it. Sore, possible sprain or bone bruise on hand. He didn't mention anything else although when I came over for coffee this morning, he was still sleeping. He was positioned correctly on the road, the driver apologized and they worked things out. Police refused to show up. I think that's the scariest part. They didn't show up last time either - when his ribs were injured enough that he was several months before being back to full health and had several hundred dollars of damage to his bike. The disturbing thing is that several laws were broken, injuries occurred and the police didn't care. A) illegal to open a door when unsafe B) vehicle accident causing injury. Jerry couldn't even recover his costs as there was no police report for insurance or a law suit (the guy also tried to leave the scene). I worry but it's his choice and all I can do is support him. He's figuring on a few more years on the road and then switching to something else. I don't worry quite so much about it happening to me. It could happen but I'm usually at a slower speed, not under a time limit and I'm constantly looking for drivers in parked cars. I haven't had any close calls recently and it hasn't been much of a problem since I learned proper lane positioning.

So, taking it easy for the rest of the week. I'm going to pick up the Friday night dinner special from the grocery store tomorrow so I won't have to cook. I was going to make the equivalence but I think it might be something they can do cheaper. That, and I don't know how to make meat lasagna. So, I'm looking for recipes!

Have a great day!

No comments: