Hello Everyone!
I just woke up from a 3 hour nap and feel great. I was rather tired at work so I think my nap was much needed. Will be running errands and doing things around the house this weekend. It's Family Day on Monday in Alberta so I'm spending the day with J, helping him with election campaign stuff and fun errands. I'm hoping to come up with some birthday ideas for him - it's coming up in March and I'm drawing a blank. Any suggestions you might have would be much appreciated.
There's a battle of the wills going on in the apartment. I've decided to put my bedroom off limits to Whiskers & Mike to try to cut down on hair/fur on my clothes and overall to see if I can keep the apartment a bit neater. Mike's been o'kay so far but Whiskers is rather ****ed off at me. She's dug up the carpet that runs under the door. This actually isn't much of a problem since the carpet is a tile style and there's no underlay between the carpet and the cement floor. She loves staying in my boxspring and I'm hoping she'll get used to finding another place "just for her".
J took me to a fabulous tiny French restaurant for Valentines. He was even more organized than I thought - he had to book 1 1/2 months in advance for a table! I would say the entire restaurant could seat 50 people. He used to work with the chef a long time ago and the restaurant had a lot of character. There was a set Valentine's Day menu with four courses. For the first course, I had a vegetable (well, there were 2 main vegetables in the "potage" but I can't remember them - it was green coloured) soup and J had a warm spinach salad. The next course was a melted brie/blue cheese blend on bread. The main course was steak covered by a demi glaze (which looks a bit like gravy but isn't. It's made with the juices rather than pan drippings. It was extremely tasty) served with vegetables. The veggie selection was interesting - did you know you can cook radish? I'm not a radish fan but I did try it and it provided a nice contrast to the other veggies. I even ate the piece of broccohli but that was more to be polite. For dessert, I tried creme brulee for the first time (I think it's a new dessert favourite for me) and J ordered a chocolate pate that was served with strawberry sauce and some other type of dark berry sauce. He was also nice enough to give me the majority of both desserts (since he claimed he was full). The meal was paired with a nice red wine recommended by the chef. When we were done, ,we were both full but not stuffed. It's sometimes touch and go when going to a restaurant like that. I've been to ones in the past were although the portions were proper sizes (Eurpean sizing so it's much smaller than N. American portions), I was still hungry when I left since it takes a couple hours to eat everything. I really enjoy sharing meals with J - he's rather passionate about food and I love hearing him talk about its preparation. For me, generally I couldn't care less about the food, as long as it's tasty, but when you listen to him, it sounds wonderful. He very much takes a European approach to cooking - simple ingredients that don't overwhelm your palate with too many flavours.
I know some people go all out for Valentine's Day but for me, the thought behind choosing the meal more than overwhelmed me. Yes, flowers and chocolate are always appreciated by me but I think they would have gotten lost in comparision to such a lovely evening.
And for my gift? Well, with Valentine's Day being the day before payday, I was definitely on a limited budget. Since J isn't a materialist kind of person, I decided to make my gift. I got a nice box at the dollar store, which he can use for storage and filled it with goodies. I made monster cookies, since he loves Safeway peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookies and decorated them with red & pink smarties. I also made chocolate cookies (froom the recipe on the back of the white chipets package - very tasty and easy to make) and some heart shaped sugar cookies with pink sugar sprinkled on top. I then filled a mason jar with hershey kisses (so he can have kissses from me whenever he likes "Awww"). I also did up a box and filled it with coupons. These coupons were things like, "coffee in Kensington", romantic things and I added a weekend in the mountains. Since he's usually the one to spoil me with the last item, I wanted to return the favour. He gets a bit grumpy when he's in the city for too long and since we both love the outdoors, it's a win-win situation for all. I had a lot of fun with the coupons and since the items on them will be spaced out over a period of time, it's much easier on the pocketbook. Overall, I had a lot of fun making his gift.
Anways, I should be getting to bed before this weekend screws up my sleep pattern. Have a great day!
Friday, February 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i want three hour naps......
Post a Comment