Hi Everyone!I walked home on Friday to see how long it'd take. It was 1 hour and 7 minutes in sem-practical shoes. I kept watching people zoom by me on their bicycles when it dawned on me that it's now practical for me to get one. At my previous apartment, I was on top of a large hill so it didn't matter what direction I was coming from, I always came home going up hill. At my new place, I'm near the bike path system that gives me access to most of the city.
I figured out pricing for a bike vs transit and decided an entry level bike was all I could afford. I know I could go to Walmart and get a $100 bike but I did that when I first got here and didn't like it - it was heavy, uncomforable and I couldn't get a rack or basket for it - wrong type of metal and it didn't have mounting posts. I went online and checked out different websites of bike shops in Calgary.
Today, I went to Ridley's in Kensington (trendy neighbourhood that's about a 30 minute walk away). I already knew I wanted a simple bike for commuting (paved bike paths and roads) that I could attach a basket, rack and lights. The assistant was really friendly and helpful. He showed me lots of options but we both thought the above bike (isn't it cute!) would work really well.
It's made by Trek and it's a cruiser bike called Calypso. It has 7 gears (I'm not using it in situations where I need a lot) and I can get all the assessories I want. At the store, they have free monthly classes to teach you about maintenance and repair (something I'll need as I have no clue) and free maintenance. I was pretty clueless - I wanted something simple but pretty and the assistant didn't look down on me for it. He explained that he was looking at this style for his girlfriend and to remember that "bikes are fun!" He encouraged me to find something I liked and was fun for me.
They didn't have any in stock (only a man's style) so they're going to order one in for me to try - with no obligation. As well, if I buy it and decide after a month it's not suitable, they'll accept it as a return and I can use the credit to get a different bike. Including the bike, accessories and tax, it will cost me 8 months of transit passes (or when you count the odd time I will be using transit - 10 months) and since Calgary doesn't get a lot of snow accumulation, you can basically bike all year. My commute is mostly side streets and city pathways and should take about 15-20 minutes (about the same as if I take transit). With the woman's style, I can still wear a skirt (I did this when biking in China) and it's designed for my body frame rather than the Walmart-style bike. As well, I'll get back into shape again - that walk on Friday really did me in!
I felt really great after leaving the store - I was listened to, informed about what I needed to know, felt that this was a store that cared about their customers and knew their business and most importantly, treated me with respect. It's like when a woman goes to a car dealership and the seller asks her "what colour she likes" rather than what model. The associate talked about model and features before I brought up its cute appearance.
Anyways, I'll let you know when it comes in and how the test drive goes...
It's a lovely day and I was able to walk in a short-sleeved shirt (maybe +15). Did some errands and cleaned the apartment a bit. Lisa stopped in after work so we had a nice chat. I also got more fish - one of these days, Walmart is going to stop selling them to me. I got 2 big goldfish because I figured they could handle themselves against psycho fish. Actually, all three are psycho so they're quite entertaining. The sole (ha-ha) little goldfish left is small enough to dodge and hide from the others. The catfish can also hold his own. He rarely moves from his rock tunnel but he's quick when he does.
Bought some daffodils today and already they're opening up - hooray for warm water and its wonders for blooms. I had bought some for work on Tuesday (raising money for the Cancer Society) and everyone commented on how lovely they were. They were so cheery that I decided to pick some up when I was grocery shopping.
We have a difficult choir piece tomorrow and 3 for Palm Sunday. They're pretty so I like the challenge. It'll be a busy Holy week - service on Palm Sunday, Good Friday, a labyrinth I'm helping to organize on Saturday, and Sunday.
For those (women) who remember Gramma Halliday making doilies - check out this website: http://koniakow.com/sklep_en.php. Not suitable for all eyes - it was mentioned in the newspaper and I think it's rather innovative...
As an aside, the newsletter I've been working on for The Townships Project has been published! It only took since September - fustrating but worthwhile in the long run.
I just remember the tea a made before turning on the computer is still steeping - I'd best go make a new pot.
Have a great day!
5 comments:
I was impressed with their website and it's great to get some feedback from the brandname.
Since I don't have a clue about bikes, I had to take the word of the sales associate that Trek was a good company.
I love your bike!! I've thought, on and off over the years, about getting another bike to travel around on with the family. Perhaps when we move into a more urban/less hilly area I'll be able to get one as adorable as yours. :)
Oh, and as for your link, I'd love to have the time to make any of these:
http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_76_87&products_id=876
http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_75_174&products_id=1414
and I fully plan to make http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTcruelty.html as soon as I lose a bit of weight.
Kelly - I love the outfits. I think the skirt would look wonderful on you (or me if I could knit!) You're so lucky to have the skill - I don't have the patience for it
You can develop the patience, you just have to start with small, almost instant gratification projects like socks or gloves or baby clothes.
Post a Comment