Hello Everyone,
Wednesday was a sad day in the household - Gilbert the guinea pig passed away at the ripe old age of 6. I found him stiff in his cage when I checked on him after work so he had passed on sometime during the day.
I'm sad but I know he had a long and happy life. He was really showing (and feeling his) age at the last. Not eating his hay, you could feel his bones under his fur, harder time getting up on his hind legs to reach treats.
I wrapped him in tissue paper and he's in a plastic lettuce box in the freezer until springtime. Then, we'll bury him out in the backyard. He was a very good friend and was my first connection to family in Calgary.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Karen
Aaaahhh...I am so sorry, Andrew and I went through that last April. Do Mike and Wiskers notice him missing. I know that Midnight missed Gizmo
So far I don't think they really noticed yet. Whiskers was a bit confused since I removed his cage from on top of hers. They stacked quite well and it now means her cage has quite a bit more light.
We'll see how it goes. We may need to put a covering over top to make her feel more secure.
Mike hasn't reacted yet.
I'm keeping an eye on both of them. Luckily, both animals show being upset by not eating so I can watch their food bowls.
Jerry was very sweet through it all and said he would miss his squeaky noises.
I'm sorry, hon. *heart hugs* He lived a good, long life that I'm sure was very happy.
Post a Comment