Tuesday, July 07, 2009

New toy

Hello everyone,

So, I'm having fun with my new bike computer. First time I've ever used one so in the past, I only had a vague idea how fast I was going.

It's actually a great tool. I patrol on the bike paths that have a speed limit of 20 km/hr in most places. 10 km/hr in high congested place. 20 is a reasonable speed if you're out for a relaxing afternoon. Not reasonable for commuting. And 10 is ridiculous. Joggers will pass you. You're going to slow to keep your manoeuverability. The speed limit in the parkcade at work is 7 km/hr. My walking speed is 6.

But, I've had a couple chances to open her up and I've had some fun. Got her up to 38 on my commute in this morning. My average/comfortable speed is 25. The 38 was on a wide road with a very slight downhill grade. I don't often get the chance to go down on my drops so I'm not sure how fast I can get her. But, it's still fun to do those little sprints.

My top speed was last year during the MS Tour. Amazingly strong wind gusts got me into the 50s on Charlotte. Weirdly enough, it didn't feel like I was going all that fast since I couldn't feel the wind.

So, my message is that yes, bicycles are a viables means of transportation. When you're passing us, give us lots of room since those high speeds mean a lot of hurt if you stop suddenly, cut us off or even the wind shifts. I've almost went down a number of times because of wind gusts from vehicles passing too close, creating the lee and then smacking you once they've cleared you.

As well, think about how long you're sitting in a vehicle vs how you could get there by bike. If you take that time and add it to your workout/gym time, biking starts to sound a lot more appealing. Plus the $ savings. And, if you're worried about your business clothes getting messy, I change at work (there's a shower too but I don't get myself worked into a sweat) and the influx of cruiser style bikes makes it easy to carry a briefcase or purse. And cycling is safe - despite what the helmet people say. Yes, I wear a helmet. Yes, I wear gloves - but it's because they're blue with white bubbles on them.

Have a great day!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Anne said...

Love my bike computer.. will love it even more when I get it set up to measure cadence. My top on the flat is 47 ... but on the downhill only like 35.... to scared I will lose control.
It is hard for me to commut, the problem is working 12 hours. I do do it very occationally.