Hello Everyone,
I've been looking for a new place for a while and tomorrow I'm signing a lease for a one bedroom in the NW. I'm spending a lot of time up there (Jerry will be one neighbourhood away) and it's a great location. 4 blocks to mall and C-Train station. Slightly shorter commute to work (and less steep hill going home). 20 minute walk to Kensington (fun neighbourhood for coffee, window shopping and people watching), 30 minute walk to downtown and Prince's Island. The street is an on-road bike path and it's a nice, safe neighbourhood.
The apartment itself is a little less nice then my current one and more expensive. Why move then?
1. Well, location is a big factor. Jerry and I have been dating for over 1 1/2 yrs and I'm tired of the 40 minute bike ride to see him. It's an ongoing joke that we have a river between us and it doesn't matter who is visiting who - there's still a hill to climb. We'll be able to spend more time together and his place is directly on my way to work so I can stop in for morning coffee.
2. hardwood/linoleum flooring. Much easier to clean for pets. Much easier for my bike.
3. garden. There's a 15'x15' garden in the back I can share with the upstairs tenants. Won't have to go all the way to the university for growing veggies anymore!
4. laundry. No more washing my clothes in the bath tub
5. not having to deal with my landlord. I've had to call every month for the past 6 months to find out when they were coming to pick up the rent. This month was the worst. They went on vacation and I was calling for 2 weeks waiting for someone to come pick it up. They also want the rent in cash so I have to stand in line for 20 minutes each month. There's family politics. Noise carries terribly in this apartment and I can hear the dog's claws as she walks across the floor. And they aren't super noisy upstairs at all. It's just that I'm very quiet so I hear everything.
The apartment itself was not quite what I was looking for but it has potential. The lease is for 6 months, then it'll go to month-to-month. I'm quite happy with this arrangement. There's a huge storage room (almost the size of my current bedroom) off the kitchen. The main entrance leads to the kitchen. Open concept. Living room slightly larger than my current one. Bathroom is accessed through the bedroom. Bedroom a bit smaller and no closet but I have a shelving unit with a clothing rail I can use. There's no tub but Jerry has said that when I desperately need a bath, I can go to his place. It's small too but I can deal with it. Kitchen cupboards a bit small but I don't use all the space in my current ones. New appliances. Windows have window wells so although I get a lot of light, there's still privacy. I was originally looking for a suite in an apartment building so I could have a balcony but there are few places that allow pets.
The upstairs tenants are reponsible for looking after the front and I would be responsible for the back (cutting grass, shovelling snow etc). I'm ok with that since I enjoy these things. As well, with the back yard, I could get a bbq or picnic there or sit under the treee and read a book. There's a convenience store across the street and a yummy donair place in the next block over.
So, I'm paying rent at 2 places for the month of March. That's expensive but the moving stress is completely lifted. I'll move most of my stuff over the next couple weeks (Jerry's roommate has a truck) so I can do a good thorough cleaning of this place. I've been here for a couple years and with pets, it'll take a bit more than the average move-out clean.
This apartment served its purpose. It was originally to cut down on costs by having a roommate. I now don't need one, and I'm not reliant on transit anymore. It's at the top of my budget but I think I will end up cutting down on some of my entertainment costs. As well, there's a great Chinese grocery store about 12 blocks away that has super cheap and very good quality fruit. Grocery store is 4 blocks away.
Once I get settled in, I'll take some pictures.
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You were doing laundrey in your tub??? That sounds not fun.. Access to personal space outdoors is a huge bonus.
Although I think you should try to do a move via bike
http://www.bikesatwork.com/hauling-cargo-by-bike/household-move-by-bike.html
lol - Jerry has a couple cargo bikes I "could" use for the move but I'm lazy and there are hills.
Yeah, laundry was horrible. It was far and involved transit to get to a laundromat. I had been washing it in the tub for almost 2 years. My drying rack fit in the tub and it ususally took 1-2 days to dry.
I had to do this when I was in China (washer, no dryer) so it was a chore I had done before. It was time consuming and physically hard since you're working with wet clothes. In summer, I had use of the clothes line. I didn't use it in winter as I couldn't wring enough water out of the clothes to do a proper winter drying.
So, for everyone who has a washer and dryer, consider yourselves lucky.
Post a Comment