Friday, September 30, 2011

Yay for Jerry!

Hello Everyone,

So Jerry starts training November 14th with Canada Post. It's 10 days of training followed by 2 tests. After that, if all goes well, he'll be on-call.

He was hoping to start mid-October but isn't complaining about the wait. At least he's almost there.

It'll be a tight October for us but we can make do. I now have to put off my job search for a couple months as I won't risk my steady pay cheque with Jerry's instability.

But it does bring me back to school in the fall. SAIT is having an open house at the end of October so I can apply to the medical transcription prgram for free (save $50). I've been thinking about this for a while. You can take it through other schools by correspondence but I think I want to be in class for this. They also include a practicum. It would mean I could work in a hospital or clinic for a couple years and then have the freedom to work from home. The pay is comparable to what I'm making now and there is increasing demand.

So, do I look for another payroll opportunity or stay with Akita and see what happens next fall?

Payroll was not on my radar as a career and I accepted my position after being at reception. It's given me lots of opportunity - fair pay, education, new experience. But it's not something I love. It's a job. But, I'm good at it and I've invested a lot of time toward my education.

If I take the risk, I need to come up with $7000 to cover all the tuition, student fees etc. And then figure out how to cover my monthly expenses as it's full-time. I don't have savings right now as all my leftover money is going toward debt repayment (past mistakes that I've learned from). But it would mean once I'm done, I would have a new career (that I chose for myself), slightly lower at first but increasing wages (that will be back to par in about a year), a way to supplement my income by picking up a few at-home contracts and the freedom to work wherever I live.

Jerry has said he will help financially but it'll take time before he's on with Canada Post permanently. And I can pick up a part-time job. I can make it work - I can be financially creative.

And that's crazy tuition! My first year in the navigation program cost $2,298.35. I still remember that because it was the largest cheque amount I had ever written at the time. But the current tuition amount includes books, student fees, transit pass (included in fees) etc and it's for 9 straight months.

Or, I could take it by correspondence and it costs $5800 but it would mean I could continue to work full-time. And have no life because it's 20+ hours of studying each week. Or I could take a couple years to build up some savings and delay the opportunity.

I don't know.

Anyways, I hope you have a great day!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

If you waited til next fall, would Jerry be making enough to cover your expenses? Could you save up enough between now and then to pay tuition? For me, with big life choices, I tend to take a "wait and see" attitude if an option isn't obvious. We're waiting, now, on a similar "wait and see" to get out of here because here just isn't working for us. Waiting *sucks*, but we're slowly formulating a plan and, as you know, having a plan is truly a balm.

Anne said...

The thing is you are smart and I really don't see you spending 20plus hours a week with transcription. Is it worth the debt load post education. What is your earning potential?

I heard a really intresting concept the other day. Basically this- you are happy as an adult doing the things you loved doing as a kid. Think about what you loved doing as a kid for a career.